CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 24, 2008

Thing 12 - Do you Digg?

For this Thing, I browsed around all four sites to see what struck me. These are my first impressions. Digg - too much pop culture. Reddit - strictly sensationalism. Newsvine - actually reliable? a tad more intelligent, maybe. Mixx - combination of the others, I liked how it was divided into categories. While I think it's good for librarians to stay on top of what's going on in the news, I feel like these sites will actually detract from that. There is so much junk to sift through that it will take more time to find the important stories. And there's the fact that these sites that are Digged (dug?) could be anything; they could be some crazy guy from the backwoods ranting about aliens. There isn't a filter to keep the important/relevant stuff in and everything else out. That's why respectable sources have editors. I think I could spend hours wasting time on these sites at home, but not in the workplace.

Since starting on the Things, I've become addicted to my Bloglines account. I have news feeds there that automatically update and since they're from CNN, the BBC and the NY Times - I know that I can (cross your fingers) trust the information that's on there.

I went to the NY Times and found the article about Sarah Jane Olson being let out of prison and then being put back (She was released because of a clerical error). I have shared articles on Facebook before, but never through any of these sites. I chose to use Mixx mainly because I really didn't want to use Reddit or Digg, but it was really simple. It let me share things without signing up for a full membership, but the site seemed friendly (if that's possible for a web site to do) and I almost considered creating an account. But I didn't.......for now.

0 comments: