CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 4, 2008

Thing 3: RSS

I had set up an aggregator account through Bloglines right after MLA in October, but hadn't used it since...until this week. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get into it, but amazingly I remembered which password I had used and I was in! When I first set it up, I only put in 2 feeds which I learned wasn't enough of an incentive to use it.

Half the time when I'm on the internet, I'm trying to procrastinate or pass some time. Going to individual blogs was really good for that. I fear that with the aggregator may make me too efficient! I added the main 23 things blog and the blog for my region as well as 3 other participants' blogs. I found this creepy in a stalkery way. I felt like I was spying into their lives (especially the people that I know [so it doesn't count as stalking if its a stranger?]). I let myself experiment with it for a few days before I posted and I learned that not everything is good for RSS. There is one site that I visit frequently that deals with new and upcoming musical acts, but the site itself is somewhat like an aggregator, so when I added the feed to mine, I was getting over 100 updates a day. That had to be taken out. Right now I have 10 feeds. Over the next few weeks I may pare that down or add more, who knows? I do plan on adding a few more of the 23 things participants, but other than that I think I have as much as I need. We'll see.

0 comments: