CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Thing 34: Is this our Competition?

I tried reading the article "Future of the Reference Desk", btu I couldn't understand most of what she was talking about. "Triage technologies"??? I also disagreed with her saying the Reference is a librarian's term. Our library got rid of "reference" librarians and reference desks years ago, but patrons still ask for it.

The Slam the Boards idea is awesome. It gives us know-it-alls a chance to use all of our useless knowledge. :) When I looked through some of the different answer sites, there was a wide range of question quality. I looked at Wikianswers first and really liked the way the site was set up. Some of the questions seemed really random, but that was only until I looked at the other sites. I'm not sure if the people who ask questions on Yahoo!Answers speak English. A lot of questions weren't even recognizable as questions. I really liked Mahalo and the fact that you could ask questions through Twitter. Plus, their pictures were all cute Hawaiian cartoon kids.

0 comments: